This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Love Daughter's New Doc

Debbie B in MD

Debbie B in MD Explorer

Dr. Karnsakul. He listened, he taught, he didn't jump to endoscopy. Very likeable. I would higly recommend him.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

fendleyab
    Newest Member
    fendleyab
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Wheatwacked
      If you are looking for a good diet to follow to start your real recovery Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live, 6 Week Plan is a good choice. Dr. Fuhrman’s 6-Week Nutritarian Diet Quick Start Dr Fuhrman is a Cardiologist who began the Nutritarian diet.  Helped me immensely with understanding nutrition.  Adapt it to GFD. If you can find them Drs Fuhrman, Amen, Davis and Hyman all had recurring annual specials on South Florida Public Service TV.
    • cristiana
      @hilly Sorry as this is a blind post as I have a lot to do today and haven't read the entire thread.  But I had bad bloating for a while, and at my gastroenterologist's suggestion after a three week trial of going entirely dairy free  I found relief.   I reintroduced dairy gradually and am pretty much OK with it now.  I also found heavy iron supplementation added greatly to bloating.  For me, bloating gets to me either in my lower gut or in my stomach and upper back, and I once thought I might be having a heart attack the pressure was so immense.  I then remembered I'd taken some iron that morning.   If you are on iron, you may wish to try a different supplement.  My GP put me onto much more gentle iron fumarate tablets at one point,  suggesting I took them an hour before breakfast, with water, and that really helped. Also, take a look at the low FODMAP diet.  Although intended for sufferers of IBS, it suggests foods that can help lessen bloating.
    • cristiana
      Thanks for drawing our attention to this, Scott.  I have no idea about this in the UK, I think I need to do some more homework!  
    • Wheatwacked
    • Wheatwacked
      Welcome hilly and Schellee94, and JulieF.      There is more to recovering from Celiac Disease than simply not eating wheat, barley, rye products. Ceilac malabsorption syndrome causes us to not absorb the nutrients we eat, so we imperceptively slip into malnutrition.   Children recover quickly.  Adults can take years because of unidentified vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  Top of the list is vitamin D, then Thiamine, then Choline, and Iodine. I, too, like Dr. Hyman.  Also Dr Davis (Wheatbelly) and Dr Amen.  While promoting gluten free, they are not dealing with the level of deficiencies brought on by the autoimmune malnutrition that comes with celiac disease.  You do not need a cleaning, Celiac has done that for you.  You do need agressive vitamin and mineral replenishment.  Those promoting cleanses do not take into account the malabsorption /malnutrition of celiac disease.   It will make you worse.  Your gut biome is changing and without the opiod effects of gluten you are not being numbed.  But you are not getting the vitamin and minerals you need to heal.  It is way higher than the mininmum RDA.  That is the amount it takes for 98% of the HEALTHY population to not show signs of deficiencies.  Good for food service meal plans to keep costs in check.  Healing takes more than sufficient. These are the vitamins and minerals I have taken.  At this point I daily take vitamin D, Iodine and thiamin.  Choline I bounce between phosphatidyl choline capsules and when my anorexia allows lots of eggs and beef. Try supplementing vitamin D, Choline, Thiamine and Iodine, while also ensuring vitamin B2,3, 5, and 12 intake.  Get your folate from food, not folic acid. Reducing homocysteine (cardiovascular inflammation) uses a DV of 500,000 micrograms of Choline, versus only 2.4 micrograms of B12,  400 micrograms of Folate and 1,700 micrograms of B6.  Avoid all processed food until you heal. Gluten Free included.  Eat the foods we ate before TV Dinners. Use sugar or fruit for sweetness, not High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Sugar breaks into glucose straight to the mitochodria to create ATP energy.  No glucose = no energy.  Everything else has to be processed by and overwhelmed malfunctioning digestive system of Celiac Disease.   Since 1970 in the US we have switched to HFCS, )even Schwepp's Ginger Ale), took idodine out of dough conditioner, adopted the modern wheat and limited eggs and meats.  In return, 50% of the US are obese vs. 17% in 1970. Additional likely deficiencies and what I take to boost my intake (I get anorexic at the drop of a hat so I take them to keep me stable):  the ones that helped me the most noticibly Was increasing vitamin D blood level to 80 ng/ml and Iodine to 650 mcg a day, Thiamine, Choline, and Iodine. 10,000 IU vitamin D to control autoimmune, improve mood, especially the winter doldrums (Seasonal Affective Disorder), bone and dental health.   Vitamin D Is Not as Toxic as Was Once Thought: A Historical and an Up-to-Date Perspective 500 mg Thiamine - neurologic symptoms, carbohydrate metabolism, subclinical beri-beri. Choline – Adequate intake 500 to 3000 mg - essential for fat digestion, gall bladder, liver, brain fog, cell membranes, prevent congenital spinal defects.   Could we be overlooking a potential choline crisis in the United Kingdom? Iodine – 1000 mcg of Liquid Iodine once or twice a day. United States RDA 150 to 1100 microgram (mcg) Japan RDA 150 to 3000 mcg. speeds up healing, muscle tone, brain fog, hair and skin, thyroid. 10 drops of Strong Iodine has 500 micrograms of elemental Iodine. Nori and Kelp. For some people with Dermetitis Herpetiformus, iodine can exasperate the rash. Iodine for Hormonal Health "Your ovaries also need iodine and without enough their structure changes. Iodine-deficient women can produce ovarian cysts and are at risk of developing PCOS." Vitamin B2 helps break down proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. It plays a vital role in maintaining the body's energy supply.  500 mg Nicotinic Acid - increase capillary blood flow, lower cholesterol.  Niacin Fact Sheet for Health Professionals 500 mg Pantothenic Acid - creates energy from glucose Krebs Cycle 1000 mcg B12 - creates hemoglobin for oxygen transport 500 mg Taurine - essential amino acid, a powerful antioxident that we make indogenously, but not enough when sickness increases inflammation. reduces Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS are are free radicals.). I've been using Zinc Glyconate (Cold-Eeze) since 2004 anytime I feel an itchy throat or other sign of air borne virus coming on.  I haven't had cold or flue, including Covid 19, since. Naturally fermented dill pickles reestablished lactobacillus in my gut and reversed my recently acquired lactose intolerance.  100% grass fed dairy is less inflammatory. Milk is a good source of iodine. Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids in Vegetables  Eating more of the vegetables low in omega six and high omega 3 can reduce inflammation while increasing vitamin and mineral intake..  The target omega 6:3 ratio is less than 3:1.  The typical western diet is from 14:1 to 20:1 because of our food choices.