This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein In Hair Care Products

kimis

kimis Collaborator

Are we still avoiding hydrolyzed wheat protein in our shampoos? I read they are safe for celiacs and I read they are unsafe for celiacs.... What's the final word?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Are we still avoiding hydrolyzed wheat protein in our shampoos? I read they are safe for celiacs and I read they are unsafe for celiacs.... What's the final word?

Who knows? It's definitely bad for DH but in general why choose a shampoo with hydrolyzed wheat when there are so many without???

mushroom Proficient

That is definitely something I avoid. Enough scalp problems already without taking that risk.

mommida Enthusiast

I avoid it. People really do ingest shampoo standing up in the shower. Some people take the baking soda test. Add baking soda to your shampoo. If you end up tasting the baking soda during the shower, then you know a small amount does get into your mouth for you to ingest.

kimis Collaborator

well I guess that settles it. I was going through some cabinets last week and I found a few bottles of my old shampoo that contains hydrolyzed wheat protein and I just can't get rid of them. I love that stuff and it was expensive too. Oh well :(

ravenwoodglass Mentor

well I guess that settles it. I was going through some cabinets last week and I found a few bottles of my old shampoo that contains hydrolyzed wheat protein and I just can't get rid of them. I love that stuff and it was expensive too. Oh well :(

If you have a food pantry near by they might gladly take them even if there is a little bit out of the bottle. The pantry I volunteer at will take big bottles and break them down into smaller ones for smaller families. Your local pantry might do the same and toiletries are needed just as much a food is by many folks.

Gemini Experienced

I avoid it. People really do ingest shampoo standing up in the shower. Some people take the baking soda test. Add baking soda to your shampoo. If you end up tasting the baking soda during the shower, then you know a small amount does get into your mouth for you to ingest.

I would imagine that if you eat your shampoo in the shower, it would be alarmingly apparent. Shampoo has a much stronger taste than baking soda.

Not everyone eats their products and using gluten-free shampoo is a choice issue or a must if you have topical allergies. If anyone is uncomfortable with using non-gluten-free topical products, then they should stick with gluten-free products as they will end up ingesting it from trying to be too careful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Mothers of very young Celiacs should also use gluten free hygeine products. Cross contamination from skin lotions and such, is too much of a risk.

Pac Apprentice

Mothers of very young Celiacs should also use gluten free hygeine products. Cross contamination from skin lotions and such, is too much of a risk.

Not just mothers. If you wash your hands with gluten-containing soap before making your meal, you have little chance of eating gluten-free. It depends on your level of sensitivity if you will react to such trace amounts of gluten or not.

Archived