This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Woodchuck Cider Soy And Dairy Free?

Carebear

Carebear Apprentice

Does anyone know if Woodchuck cider is soy and dairy free? Darn those natural flavors!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

While "natural flavors" can contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared as "malt flavor."

If there were wheat in it, in the US it would be required by law to be disclosed as just that, "wheat."

Open Original Shared Link on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (B) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

That said, soy and milk are FALCPA top-eight allergens that must, by law, be disclosed in the USA. In Canada, they are "priority allergens" that CFIA rules require to be disclosed.

No worries.

Skylark Collaborator

That said, soy and milk are FALCPA top-eight allergens that must, by law, be disclosed in the USA. In Canada, they are "priority allergens" that CFIA rules require to be disclosed.

In the US, FALCPA does not apply to alcoholic beverages. It only applies to FDA-regulated foods.

(I'll see your big font and raise you a boldface. Heh!)

I doubt there would be soy or dairy in the "natural ingredients" in cider but the best bet is to check with the manufacturer.

Carebear Apprentice

Thanks for the replies! I'll call Monday and post their reply.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No worries.

This applies to foods but not to alcoholic beverages in the US. No ingrediennts at all need to be listed on alcohol here. That said Woodchuck is gluten, soy and dairy free AFAIK. I drink it on occasion.

Edit: Whoops, sorry didn't realize this info had already been posted. I'm not fully awake yet.

psawyer Proficient

Ingredients do not need to be listed on alcoholic beverages, but my understanding is that if they are listed, they need to comply with all regulations and FALCPA.

Skylark Collaborator

Ingredients do not need to be listed on alcoholic beverages, but my understanding is that if they are listed, they need to comply with all regulations and FALCPA.

As far as I can tell, alcoholic beverages are under the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Certain non-malted beers, wine coolers, and low-alcohol cooking wines fall under FDA jurisdiction. Beer, wine, spirits, and hard cider would be exempt from FALCPA. FALCPA applies to packaged food, which is regulated under FDA. Meat, poultry, and eggs are also exempt from FALCPA because they are under USDA guidelines. (USDA does have a law requiring the declaration of grain fillers.) OTC and prescription medications are also exempt from FALCPA, although many manufacturers voluntarily comply.

It's a hard slog thought the regulatory documents but you might find this helpful.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Carebear Apprentice

I called and they told me that the natural flavors are "apple flavoring", and are gluten, dairy and soy free. It's my understanding that if the flavor is specified (like "apple" instead of "natural"), it doesn't contain any other ingredients. I sure hope the extraction method doesn't involve gluten... anyone know?

kareng Grand Master

Wood chuck ciders are gluten-free. They even say so on them.

Archived