This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin Panel Results-- Help Please!

Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two Contributor

I have been gluten free almost 3 months, I just had a vitamin panel done to check iron, folate, vitamin D, B12 and thyroid panel. She told me at my follow up today that I am only slightly low on iron and folate----I was NOT low 6 momths ago so she says this is not an absorption/celiac issue, but probably due to cutting all grains. She gave me a lab order to get a full anemia panel this week, and again in 2 months, gave me a Rx for iron and B complex for folate. But, I wanted to see what you experts though of my numbers and what supplements I should purchase!

So I come home and do my own research, and see that my D and B12 levels ARE low even if not on her "reference scale" of normal ranges.

Here are my results:

Folate: 5.2 (>5.9)

Iron: 56 (60-150)

B12: 357 (180-914)

Vitamin D: 36

Also, thyroid tested normal, the results:

T4: 6.9 (6.1-12.2)

T3 Uptake: 42 (32-48)

FTI: 7.4 (5.9-13.1)

TSH: 0.95 (0.34-5.60)

Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

The results can't be interpreted without the ranges.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

Does anyone have suggestions? Also, what form of B12 should I get? I have heard the methyl B12 is better absorbed and bioactive, I have heard to use sublingual.

Thanks!

Ninja Contributor

I'm not the most experienced at this, but I take NOW brand methyl B12 lozenges.

~Laura :)

Victoria6102 Contributor

Get sublingual b12. As celiacs it is hard for us to absorb things before we heal so the sublingual allows it to be absorbed through the vessels under your tongue. There's a brand of vitamins that is completely gluten free that I use. I believe it's country farm. I'll look at them tomorrow and let you know for sure. :) good luck!

mushroom Proficient

You also need to be taking Vitamin D3 supplements. at least 1,000 iu/day.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

I already take 4000 units of D3 daily! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nursenation2 Rookie

I have struggled with my vit d for many years. I was at 9 when I started. Then hung around the teens for awhile. I even was on the prescription d of 50000 units twice a week. I started taking this d3 that is 10000 units and sublingual and I finally have a good vit d level. 10000 is the max daily dose. But the newest research is saying most people need to be taking more it improves brain function, sleep and even has ties to our heart function.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

I have my eye on some sublingual B12, the methyl version-- they have a few different varieties, 1mg, 5mg, etc- the one that is 5mg has 400mcg of folic acid which I am low on. The larger dosage one (brand is Source Naturals) is a combo of methyl and dibencozide B12 which are supposedly the bioactive forms. Is the 5mg too much, the directions say one daily. I would like a B complex which includes folate, the other B vitamins, and the methyl version of B12, but have not found that.

I am considering taking the liquid Floradix iron, I worry about the side effects of an iron tablet- anyone use this kind? It is supposedly much better absorbed, only downside is the price, as most liquids are pricy. My next choice was the RAW iron from Vitamin Code.

I already have my D3, I will up the amount for a couple months till my next labs. I ordered new probiotics, and am also looking to get some omegas in there.

Only other thing I see is controversial is L-Glutamine, and also digestive enzymes....are these necessary or beneficial for me at this point?

I really appreciate any advice, it can be difficult to get the correct amounts and I really want to feel better, I have ZERO energy right now and feel like a truck ran me down! :)

I am ready to take control, as my primary doc is not much help in this matter! I am seeking out a naturopath to work with on these vitamins and such!

Thanks!

mushroom Proficient

Digestive enzymes are indicated if you feel that your food is being poorly digested, loose poorly formed bowel movements, perhaps some gastric distress - bloating, gassiness. If none of this applies to you you probably don't need them.

Archived