This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Humira, Enbrel, Remicade

saintmaybe

saintmaybe Collaborator

Anyone taking these for RA, Spondylitis, JA, or PA? I'm in the process of getting diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, and my doctor wants to skip straight to biologics because my case is now progressing quickly and antiinflammatories don't work for me. I'm curious as to what your experiences are, which one you'd recommend. Are the costs, side effects, and frequent infections worth it? I work in retail and am thus exposed to germs all day, so I'm a little concerned about being on immunosuppressants for a long time...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I don't have any experience to offer you, but I would suggest you look up the dosage and administration of each of the drugs. That might help you in making a decision.

saintmaybe Collaborator

I don't have any experience to offer you, but I would suggest you look up the dosage and administration of each of the drugs. That might help you in making a decision.

Yeah. One is at home and one has to be administered at the doctors office. I'd take the office administration if the benefits were worth it, but if the two aren't categorically different, I'd prefer at home administration.

GF Lover Rising Star

There are two other immunosuppressants that I've taken. Plaquenil and methotrexate (you have to take folic acid with this one. All of them have side effects. My rheumatologist took me off those two at the 1 year mark because of long term use concerns. I was on Dexomethosone longer but have also now stopped that. I was on anti inflammatory meds also which stopped working. The goal is to slow the immune system down to figure out exactly what is happening.

I'm assuming you've been tested for all common autoimmune diseases.

I had side effects from the methotrexate, you dose every other week and a few days of that week were crummy but not severe. I never got any full blown illnesses from them.

You may have to go by trial and error, see what works best for symptoms vs. The side effects. These are heavy meds so go slowly and record everything that happens on the med, good or bad.

It also takes time to find the right doses. You have to be patient. My only advice would be, anywhere along this road, if you start to feel in your gut that the benefit is not worth the risks or the long term risks, tell you Doc, he will have to develop another plan and work harder at fixing things. I wish you good luck with this.

mushroom Proficient

I personally approve going straight to biologics. I got really screwed up with DMARDS and anti-inflammatories. I developed pneumonitis and such other terrible side effects from methotrexate I thought I was going to die. Anti-inflammatories taken as prescribed just about did in my kidneys. Plaquenil worked for a while on my arthritis but really flared my psoriasis.

In contrast, Humira has been a godsend. You inject it yourself every two weeks like an Epipen. It is easy and practically painless. You do have to stop taking it when you come down with an infection and I have gone varying lengths of time without it. My psoriasis always flares quicker than my arthritis when this happens. I have never been left writhing in pain - only when they were deciding whether to make me do the six-month TB dosing of Isoniazid because I had had a BCG vaccination as a teenager and the Isoniazid in New Zealand contained gluten :(. In the end we just started the Humira.

The way the immunosuppression was explained to me, and I have found this to be true, it does not make you more likely to pick up opportunistic infections - in fact I have had only one respiratory infection since being on Humira (3 years) as opposed to the 2-3/year I used to get while on gluten. But if you do get one, it makes it harder for you to fight it off. I have COPD so I always get a flu shot each year because I fear that if I got flu it may well kill me. But we all have to die of something And I don't want to die in crippling pain. :unsure:

Chickenwing Newbie

I have been on Remicade and methotrexate for over ten years for ankylosing spondylitis. I went on it after trying a long list of anti inflammatory and other drugs. I am doing great. I have almost no side effects. This medication changed my life.

heathenly Apprentice

My son has celiac disease and has been on Remicade for years, with very good results. Very few side effects (really just a little diarrhea and bleeding for a few days post-infusion; no pain), and the positive effect on his everyday life has been worth every second he sits in the infusion chair. Unfortunately, nothing else worked. He tried so many oral therapies I can't even count, and a couple years ago he tried Cimzia for a year, but it couldn't keep up and he had a slow decline.

If you don't have decent insurance, the cost of Remicade (or any of the biologics, I think) is astronomical. He hasn't had many problems with getting sick due to a suppressed immune system, but then again, he's 20 and otherwise healthy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heathenly Apprentice

Oops-- didn't realized those initials converted to "celiac disease." He has Crohn's.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Toni Cox
    Newest Member
    Toni Cox
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• knitty kitty
    • MO1984
      My dermatitis herpetiformis has migrated over my body over the years, and landing lately on my anus/genitals, and while it is terrible, the ONLY thing I’ve found to greatly help discomfort, and *I think* speed healing is Penaten Creme. It’s a German butt cream for babies…worked amazingly on me as a baby, and my mom gave it to me when I had my daughter. One night I was so uncomfortable I thought “it eases her rash, let me try it on mine” and OH MY GOD. Relief.     It has zinc, lanolin, witch hazel among other things. Anyhoo, HIGHLY recommend this for relief. 
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Wormsy22! Yes, unfortunately many doctors are not clear on proper testing protocol for Celiac Disease, much less the treatment. If we remove gluten from our diet, the antibodies our bodies produce against gluten go down.   I went gluten free on my own.  My doctors had laughed at me when I suggested testing for Celiac Disease.  Later, to get a proper diagnosis, I couldn't finish the gluten challenge because my body reacted so extremely.  Symptoms get way worse with reintroduction.  A gluten challenge requires 10 grams (4-6 slices of bread, pizza, etc.) to provoke sufficient antibody production so that the antibodies get into the bloodstream.  Less than 10 grams will make one sick (the antibodies stay in the gut wreaking havoc), but won't elicit sufficient antigluten antibodies in the bloodstream.  I ended up getting diagnosed by DNA testing and improvement on a gluten free diet.  Celiac Disease is genetic.  Having Celiac genes doesn't mean you have active Celiac Disease, just the potential to develop it.  Your genes don't change, so no gluten challenge required.  Improvement on a gluten free diet points to active Celiac genes. If you remove gluten from your diet, you also remove a big source of B vitamins since wheat/gluten containing products are required to be enriched with vitamins lost in processing.  Malabsorption of essential nutrients due to damaged intestines caused by Celiac Disease and reduced sources of vitamins and minerals results in malnutrition, aka vitamin deficiencies.  There's eight B vitamins, each of which are needed for proper nerve and muscle function.  Being low in these vitamins can cause the symptoms you and I have experienced.   Most B vitamins can be stored for a month, but Thiamine B1 can become depleted in as little as three days to three weeks.  Thiamine is needed to produce energy for the cells to function.  So nerve cells misfire, muscle cells misfire, and the brain, where all these messages get sent, is affected.  MRIs showing brain damage caused by Thiamine deficiency is most frequently found postmortem, though changes may be seen before then, and damage is reversible is possible, IF recognized and treated properly and promptly.  My doctors didn't recognize my symptoms of nutritional deficiencies, but having studied microbiology and nutrition at university, I did, as far fetched as it sounded.  I took over-the-counter vitamins and had symptom improvement within an hour.   Look at this study where people (not diagnosed with Celiac Disease nor malabsorption problems) became deficient in Thiamine quickly.  They had no long-term problems because they did Not continue the Gluten free diet like we have to do. Gluten-free diet intervention reduces thiamine intake in two weeks, increases glycaemic response and decreases body weight in four weeks, with no long term nutritional deficiencies https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34583628/ More Interesting Reading: Nutritional Deficiencies in Celiac Disease: Current Perspectives https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8703793/ Clinical trial: B vitamins improve health in patients with coeliac disease living on a gluten-free diet https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19154566/ Thiamine deficiency disorders: a clinical perspective https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8451766/ Insufficiency of B vitamins with its possible clinical implications https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7417807/ B Vitamins: Functions and Uses in Medicine https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9662251/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, Cassie! That was one long sentence! A few periods stuck in here and there would have made it a little more readable. You must have composed it on hour phone. Yes, the biopsy was probably made invalid because you had been on a gluten free diet. The biopsy looks for the damage caused by celiac disease to the lining of the small bowel from the inflammation that eating gluten brings about. Once you remove the gluten from the diet, the inflammation dies down and the small bowel lining begins to heal. Since it is now healed, there is no damage detected by the biopsy. But we hear these kinds of stories on this forum over and over. Physicians fail to give their patients instructions about these things. It is frustrating. If you decide that you want to get the biopsy redone in order to get an official diagnosis of celiac disease you would need to be eating a generous amount of gluten daily for several weeks. The amount of gluten found in 4-6 slices of bread for a month or so should do it. Otherwise, just continue on with the gluten free lifestyle and enjoy your health.
    • trents
      How long has this been goin on? May we ask your age? What you describe sounds like it could be gluten-induced neurological damage of some kind which may not be detectable by testing designed to diagnose other kinds of neurological disorders. And it may not be completely reversible. What is noteworthy is that your symptom list became longer when you went back on gluten/grains. There are many "silent" celiacs. They are those who have no GI distress or so little of it that it does not get their attention as being a symptom of some underlying condition like celiac disease. Nonetheless, there is damage being done to the villous lining of their small bowel, the place where all of our nutrition is absorbed, and eventually they develop nutritional deficiency related medical issues because the ability to absorb the nutrition from the food they consume has become severely compromised. One of those potential medical issues is neurological disease. Have you had an endoscopy done with biopsy of t he small bowel lining? Acid reflux is very common in the celiac population.  Can you be more specific about the "ttg" blood test you had done to check for celiac disease? Was that the ttg-iga? There is more than one type of ttg celiac disease antibody blood test that can be run. Was that the only celiac blood antibody test ordered? More should have been ordered by the physician if so, especially if you had been skimping on gluten intake.