This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kids Cold/pain Products!

Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two Contributor

This process is infuriating!! I spent an HOUR and 20 minutes at Walgreens going up and down the isle, reading labels and searching on my phone for gluten free cold meds/etc for children. I want to have my cabinet ready for cold season, we've already had a couple sniffles circulate! I get ibuprofen at Target (their brand) that is clearly labeled gluten free, the children's dye free ibuprofen as well. I also verified with the manufacturer on a couple of Target OTC products. I wanted to have some Tylenol on hand even though if my kids have a fever I usually use ibuprofen- there have been occasions when dealing with a high fever or really sick kiddo, that my pediatrician suggests alternating the two. So, I cannot find ANY generic OTC acetemetephen that apepars to be gluten free- I picked up the grape Tylenol children's liquid- I could not verify online but past post searches suggest this is TESTED and IS confimed gluten free?

I also have a list from gluten free drugs, that lists Benadryl and Dimetapp as gluten free. (the liquids) I had Dimetapp in my hand (nighttime cold and cough) and put it back b/c Benadryl D allergy/sinus is the exact same but twice the potency so only 1tsp needed rather than 2tsp, and made it way cheaper. But on the Benadryl site, it says they do not test so they don't add gluten ingredients, but there could be due to manufacturing. I also called the manufacturer of Triaminic becasue I have som ein my cabinet- both orange cold/allergy liquid and the purple nightime cold/cough liquid. I was told the same thing, no gluten, but they cannot say about manufacturing because they do not test their procucts.

What do you experienced moms do with this issue----- do you safely use products that are gluten free but are not TESTED for the presense of gluten?

I have not opened the Benadryl cold/sinus-- was curious your thoughts on this, or if you moms have suggestions on using a safe cold medication- is Dimetapp better, for example?

I do not want to be in the kitchen trying to fgure out what to give my sick kid at 2am, which is why I was trying to get some safe products today!

I use Ricolla drops for my 8 year old as well, and at least their site says no gluten in any of their products!

I do not usually use medications on my kids, but I like to be prepared- last spring my kids got hand, foot and mouth diesase and I tell you what, my 4 year old was about as sick as they come, even had 2 ER visits. It was bad and I was glad I had what I needed- you just never know and I like to know that my products are safe- I have verified them for myself (also celiac) but my products are a bit simpler- I use ibuprofen/Sudafed (Walgreens brand labeled gluten-free, behind the coutner) and Benadryl ( I buy Walgreens brand which is labeled gluten-free) when sick!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom-of-Two Contributor

So, Tylenol replies that the gluten information for Children's Tylenol is not available, and they no longer have a gluten free list. They state that their testing used to be performed by an outside laboratory using the ELISA test kit, this only related to the products that they had tested. Which does not include the Tylenol.

I guess I will return that and keep searching for a gluten free alternative, or give up and use only ibuprofen if my kiddos get sick or fever.

Anyone out there have a comment, surely you have safe meds at home you have found!

Thanks!

sa1937 Community Regular

Have you checked the lists at Open Original Shared Link?

Mom-of-Two Contributor

Have you checked the lists at Open Original Shared Link?

Yes, Dimetapp and Benadryl are on the list there (although they don't test)

sa1937 Community Regular

Yes, Dimetapp and Benadryl are on the list there (although they don't test)

Sometimes that's the best we can get from a manufacturer. I do use Benedryl occasionally without a problem.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

So there I was at Target today, and saw their brand of nighttime cold stuff (same as Triamic, Dimetapp, and the Benadryl cold/sinus stuff I had bought- all same ingredients. Only this Target brand, big green gluten free label! And it was under three bucks! So I returned the other stuff to my Walgreens and saved $16.

Lesson learned! You never do know! After the response from Tylenol and the lack of anything labeled or verified gluten free, I am likely to just stick to the gluten free ibuprofen I also purchased from the Target brand for my kiddos!

Archived