This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Thyroid Tests Should I Ask For?

Findin my way

Findin my way Rookie

My gastro doc was unwilling to diagnose me as Celiac. My blood work was negative (he only did the transglutamnase IgA AB) and my biopsy was "indeterminate." He said the villi was only slightly blunted. I've since found out he only did a couple of biopsies. He told me to go gluten free for 4 months, come back to see him, and if I felt better he'd say I have Celiac.

I've been gluten free for about 3.5 months. I really can't say I feel better. The first couple of weeks I felt better and then it went down hill from there. I've given up dairy. I'm avoiding soy, but it seems to creep in. I'm afraid to have to give up corn, just because of how much stuff it's in. I'm still on PPI's which probably aren't helping anything either. I've started to slowly taper them to avoid the acid rebound problems.

Anyway, I'm not complaining about my digestive issues. I actually want to know what thyroid tests I should ask for. I'm seeing my family doctor for my yearly physical on Wed. I'm thinking I should get my thyroid checked. Gastro doc did a TSH test, which was in range. So if someone could let me know which tests to ask for that would be great. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I would try to get an EMA test out of him (or someone else) since that one is pretty definitive. And if your intestines are "only slightly blunted", what does he think caused that? The evil intestine fairy?? Sheesh! I hate it when doctors dismiss a diagnosis but don't look into other causes. That tells me they are either lazy, or pretty sure it's celiac but think a gluten-free diet is "too hard" to follow.

Anyway, I found out I had Hashimoto's just over a month after my celiac diagnosis. I found celiac helped with my GI issues in terms of the pain after eating and bloating. It also helped reduce the frequency of my migraines and I had a bit of new hair growth. On the other hand, it has done nothing to help my fatigue, skin, or aches and pains which I attribute to Hashi's or something else (I'm being checked for Lupus). My C only changed when I started synthroid; much better now.

So, you're right. Hashi's and celiac have quite similar symptoms, and hypothyroidism could definitely be the cause.

Thyroid tests:

• TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) - if it's high, or even high normal, it means your pituitary gland has to send out extra stimulants to get an underactive Thyroid working
  • T4 - main thyroid hormone, if it's low or normal (with a high TSH) you could be hypo
  • TPOAb (Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody) - If it's high, your body is attcking the thyroid and indicates Hashi's
  • T3 - active thyroid hormone, if low, could indicate a problem converting T4 to usable T3

Good luck. I hope you feel well soon.

Findin my way Rookie

I would try to get an EMA test out of him (or someone else) since that one is pretty definitive. And if your intestines are "only slightly blunted", what does he think caused that? The evil intestine fairy?? Sheesh! I hate it when doctors dismiss a diagnosis but don't look into other causes. That tells me they are either lazy, or pretty sure it's celiac but think a gluten-free diet is "too hard" to follow.

Anyway, I found out I had Hashimoto's just over a month after my celiac diagnosis. I found celiac helped with my GI issues in terms of the pain after eating and bloating. It also helped reduce the frequency of my migraines and I had a bit of new hair growth. On the other hand, it has done nothing to help my fatigue, skin, or aches and pains which I attribute to Hashi's or something else (I'm being checked for Lupus). My C only changed when I started synthroid; much better now.

So, you're right. Hashi's and celiac have quite similar symptoms, and hypothyroidism could definitely be the cause.

Thyroid tests:

• TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) - if it's high, or even high normal, it means your pituitary gland has to send out extra stimulants to get an underactive Thyroid working
  • T4 - main thyroid hormone, if it's low or normal (with a high TSH) you could be hypo
  • TPOAb (Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody) - If it's high, your body is attcking the thyroid and indicates Hashi's
  • T3 - active thyroid hormone, if low, could indicate a problem converting T4 to usable T3

Good luck. I hope you feel well soon.

Hi nvsmom,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My gastro doc seems only interested in doing a colonoscopy. I had one done 8 years ago and nothing was found, but he keeps insisting. It's frustrating. Given my family history you'd think he'd be a little more receptive to the idea of Celiac. In his defense he's the one who ordered the antibody test and biopsy in the first place. I went to him because I was having really bad heart burn and trouble swallowing. As for the family history, my grandmother had a section of her digestive tract removed (can't remember where exactly) in her seventies. My mother had a terrible time with D and also had her gallbladder out. My aunt once told me she had to sit on the toilet to eat ice cream. Gross I know, but relevant. In fact, my daughter is the first female in my family to not issues with dairy. Then, of course, there was my ITP.

I've been wondering lately if my issues are with a casein intolerance. That will blunt the villi too. I did tell the gastro doc that when I was young I had issues with dairy (couldn't have a milk based formula) but in my teens I started drinking milk and eating cheese and was fine. Now dairy seems to be a real problem again.

I've been thinking I need to purposely gluten myself to make sure it's Celiac and not a casein intolerance. Except that I'm a little afraid to do that. I have to see the grastro doc on the 27th and I'm not sure what to tell him. I'm not feeling better yet, so I just don't know. I might just let him do his stupid colonoscopy.

I will ask the family doc for the T3, T4, and TPOAb. I think she'd be willing to do that.

Archived