This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tell Me A Gastroscopy And Colonoscopy Are Not That Big Of A Deal!

smpalesh

smpalesh Explorer

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy with duodenal biopsy on November 20. I am completely terrified! They do it under conscious sedation and stupid me, I decided to google it. Bad, bad idea! There are tons of horror stories of people who woke up during the tests and were screaming for the doctors to stop but they wouldn't. I am trying to convince myself these are the rare horror stories but there are just so many of them. I am actually on the verge of cancelling everything and staying sick forever rather than risk the trauma of the tests. Any input for me is appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

Guess I've got to agree that googling it was a bad idea, because mine was a breeze & I've seen many many others here say either the same or that their throat was a little sore.

It's a pretty common procedure . ...well both procedures I guess, whether together or separate.

I'll flat out say I think those rare horror stories are even VERY very rare.

Afterwards you'll be saying "I got worked up over THAT?".

You're gonna get better once it's figured out. :)

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I had mine conscious with anesthetic throat spray (UK option) and even that was ok! A bit wierd and uncomfortable but fine.

I was very tired after and had a mildly sore throat, which was fine by next morning.

I was terrified before, but it was fine.

Promise yourself a nice treat for when it is all done :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Talk to your doctor about this fear. I have had 5 or 6 scopes. I have a twisted colon and they had to stop the colonoscopy the second to the last time I had one done because the doctor could not get me fully sedated. It wasn't a 'horror story' but they were unable to complete it. I went back a short time later and they did the procedure under anesthesia.

Part of the issue with the problem one was that the GI doctor was doing the sedation. If an actual anesthesiologist is there they are much better trained in making sure you have enough sedation. They can also give you some medication to take before you go to help you relax. Since you are nervous about it maybe ask your doctor to use an anesthesiologist.

Most of the time these procedures are easy peasy so try not to worry about it.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time, and had each done separately. Each time, it was fine. Had the sore throat once. Complications happen, but are not the norm.

Take good care and try not to worry:).

luvs2eat Collaborator

I had my first colonoscopy w/ no sedation. I'd seen them done (nurse) and wasn't at all scared. It was only a tad uncomfy but fascinating to watch and be able to ask questions. Had my second one earlier this year and was laughing w/ the staff about staying awake to watch w/ the conscious sedation. They put in the medicine into the IV and I woke up in the recovery room. Ha ha. Absolute piece of cake. I also had an endoscopy years ago and slept thru the entire thing. Don't be scared.

That said... I have a friend who takes huge amounts of pain meds (morphine, etc) for chronic pain. She had a hard time because they couldn't knock her out w/ the conscious sedation. Her doctor told her she should have told him how many narcotics she takes on a daily basis (um... halloooo... she didn't give a complete list of her meds?? Of course she did!). So, IF you take huge meds, make sure your doc knows. Otherwise... you'll do fine!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Outside of the dizzyness, i don't remember a thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

smpalesh Explorer

I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and one of the symptoms is a difficulty with anesthetic. It basically takes WAY more to even have an effect on me. So I am doubtful that it would even work. I still haven't decided what to do.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I am sure if you talk it through you could find a way.

Can you call in advance?

As I said, I was totally conscious, no sedation and it was ok (just endoscopy). It felt odd, but the nurse talked me through. I gagged just a little (don't think that happens under sedation) but I could still breathe fine.

Good luck x

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and one of the symptoms is a difficulty with anesthetic. It basically takes WAY more to even have an effect on me. So I am doubtful that it would even work. I still haven't decided what to do.

I have ED also...I wonder if that is why I also have to have extra anesthetic.

Talk to your doctor and explain that you have a resistance to anesthesia. Try not to worry as a trained anesthesiologist will be able to sedate you enough especially if they know in advance that you have resistance.

As others have mentioned there are some folks who have had these procedures done with nothing and had no problems. Don't let fear of the procedure prevent you from having it done if it is needed.

If you are doing this solely for celiac diagnosis purposes talk to your doctor and see if he will diagnose based on your response to the diet and/or positive bloods.

quirkinator Rookie

Hi there. I have the same procedure scheduled for this Friday and am also terrified. I'll try to remember your username and check in on you and let you know how my test goes. Sometimes google is a bad thing, as I freaked myself out too. Good luck!!!

Archived