This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn And Gluten Free Sensitive Teeth Toothpaste?

wartburg03

wartburg03 Rookie

I have really bad teeth (and from what I'm learning, that's pretty common). I have been gluten free for a few weeks, but just discovered I react to corn too. I can't find a toothpaste made for sensitive teeth that doesn't have corn in it. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Opa3 Apprentice

I use Colgate Sensitive, Enamel/protect. Inactive ingredients does not list corn.

ChristinaL Newbie

Hi Wartburg,

This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for over a year. So much great info here.

In addition to celiac, I am also ridiculously sensitive to corn. After some research, I found that the toothpaste I'd been using (Tom's of Maine) was not corn free. The only corn free, gluten free toothpaste that was suggested was Squigle (yes, only one 'g'). Here's the link: http://www.homesteadmarket.com/product/27/brand_squigle Switching to corn free toothpaste has gotten rid of dark spots on my teeth, and I can now brush my teeth without my gums bleeding. Hope it helps you, too. :)

@opa3, most toothpaste that contains corn doesn't actually contain pure corn, but things that are derived or sourced from corn. So it's not going to list 'corn', or 'made from corn' in the ingredients. But things like sorbitol, xylitol, dextrose, citric acid, xanthan gum...they all come from corn, typically. In my case, I found that the xylitol in Tom's of Maine was derived from corn. Squigle derives theirs from birch tree bark.

Adalaide Mentor

Unfortunately, as pointed out, that Colgate is not corn free. I was attempting to find something corn free but couldn't. What I use has a xylitol that is sometimes birch derived and sometimes corn derived. Hopefully that Squigle will work out for you. You could, as a last resort, always take the old fashioned homemade toothpaste route as well. It won't taste awesome, but it doesn't have to to get your teeth clean.

Opa3 Apprentice

@opa3, most toothpaste that contains corn doesn't actually contain pure corn, but things that are derived or sourced from corn. So it's not going to list 'corn', or 'made from corn' in the ingredients. But things like sorbitol, xylitol, dextrose, citric acid, xanthan gum...they all come from corn, typically. In my case, I found that the xylitol in Tom's of Maine was derived from corn. Squigle derives theirs from birch tree bark.

I stand corrected. :) Colgate Sensitive is OK by me.

bartfull Rising Star

Baking soda. After a while it actually tastes...refreshing.

deb445 Rookie

My family (most of us) are "super" grain sensitive, and we use toothepaste made by the Green Beaver Company - we love the green apple flavour, which is also good for people who practise classical homeopathy. I also "oil pull" with coconut oil.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wartburg03 Rookie

Thanks! I just ordered some Squigle on Amazon, and I will also look into the Green Beaver Company.

ChristinaL Newbie

You're welcome, Wartburg. Hope it helps you. :) I know how frustrating it can be to have to search and search for simple things like toothpaste, just to find one that won't make you sick. I've learned so much from this community, so I'm happy to be able to pass along any info that might help someone else.

-- Christina

• 5 years later...
justjennb Newbie

I started using My Magic Mud toothpaste several months ago. It's gluten-free, corn free (I'm very sensitive to corn), and it has some nice stuff in it. I found it local, but you can probably order it online. 

• 1 year later...
Margreet Newbie

I just checked out squigle as I need a grain and cornfree toothpaste,  but it contains vegetable oil,  a definite source of corn ? The my magic mud  toothpaste also contains corn in the form if xylitol, citric acid and xantham gum

Edited by Margreet
Incomplete
  • 1 year later...
Gloria L Enthusiast
On 1/23/2013 at 12:03 PM, ChristinaL said:

Hi Wartburg,

This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for over a year. So much great info here.

In addition to celiac, I am also ridiculously sensitive to corn. After some research, I found that the toothpaste I'd been using (Tom's of Maine) was not corn free. The only corn free, gluten free toothpaste that was suggested was Squigle (yes, only one 'g'). Here's the link: http://www.homesteadmarket.com/product/27/brand_squigle Switching to corn free toothpaste has gotten rid of dark spots on my teeth, and I can now brush my teeth without my gums bleeding. Hope it helps you, too. :)

Hi Christina, one of the ingredients in squiggle is glycerin from vegetable oil, do you know if it comes from corn?